From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1878 (pp. 2994)
NEW FISHBOURNE is a village and parish a mile and a quarter west from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove (No. 3), archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, situate at the head of the eastern branch of Chichester harbour. The road from Chichester to Portsmouth and the South Coast railway pass through the parish. The church of SS. Peter and Mary is small, comprising chancel, nave, aisles and small wooden belfry at the west end. The register dates from the year 1567. The living is a rectory, yearly value £200, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held by the Rev. Robert Baker, M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who resides at West Gate, Chichester. The principal landowners are Mrs. Smith, of Salt Hill Park, and E. Stanford, esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 610 acres; rateable value, £2,129; and the population in 1871 was 362.
Parish Clerk, William Robbins.
POST OFFICE.- Miss Mercy Standing, postmistress. Letters through Chichester arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. The nearest money order is at Chichester.
Arnold Rev. Frederick Hy. M.A., LL.B.
Descow Peter, Fishbourne Lodge
Elam Fredk. Wm. New Fishbourne ho
Flint The Misses, North View
Smith Mrs. Salt Hill park
Stanford Edward, J.P. Manor house
Weston George Harris
Williams Rev. Benjamin Byron [Congregational]
Ayling Henry, nurseryman
Boyes Harry, carpenter
Brain John, shopkeeper
Farne Charles Henry, miller & farmer
Knight William, Bull’s Head
Long Robert, tailor
Matthews Wm. Rd. baker & beer retailer
Partrick John, boot & shoe maker
Pratt Henry, farmer
Quintom George Daniel, grazier
Robbins William, carpenter
Shepherd James, grocer & baker
Shepherd James, jun. millwright
Wingham Anthony, shopkeeper