From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
COOMBS is a parish in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Steyning, rape of Bramber, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington, 55 miles south from London, 2 south from Bramber railway station, 3 south from Steyning, and 2 north-west from Shoreham. The church is a small structure, in the Early English style. The living is a rectory, value £201 per annum, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. John Thornton, D.D., of Wadham College, Oxford. The whole of the parish is occupied by John and William Hampton, and is the property of Lord Leconfield. The population in 1861 was 77; area, 1,292 acres.
Letters through Hurstpierpoint. The nearest money order office is at Shoreham
Hampton John & William, farmers