From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EAST DEAN (near Eastbourne) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Willingdon, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Eastbourne union, Lewes county court district, 3 miles west from Eastbourne, and 5 east from Seaford. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, and tower. The register dates from 1559. The living is a vicarage, with that of Friston annexed, joint annual value £276, in the gift, alternately, of the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. George Pinnock. Here is a Parochial school for boys and girls, supported by the Hon. Mrs. Gilbert, of Eastbourne. Here is the Beachy Head Lighthouse; also a preventive station. The parish contains 2,431 acres, and the population in 1861 was 334.
BERLING is half a mile south.
Parish Clerk, Robert Dunstall.
POST OFFICE.- John Colwell, receiver. Letters arrive from Eastbourne at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Eastbourne
Parochial School, Miss Elizabeth Ann Bradford, mistress
Pinnock Rev. George [vicar]
Ashby George, miller
Ashby William, farmer
Burton Moses, grocer & draper
Colwell Charles, Tiger
Colwell John, carpenter
Gorringe John, farmer, Berling farm
Hills John, blacksmith & farmer
Osborn William, farmer
Pierce John, bricklayer