From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EAST PRESTON is a parish, half a mile south-east from Angmering railway station, 2 miles south-west from Goring, 66 south-south-east from London, 5 west from Worthing, and 3 east from Littlehampton, in the Western division of the county, Poling hundred, Worthing county court district, rape and rural deanery of Arundel, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Ferring and the rectory of Kingston, joint annual value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Henry Dixon, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. Here is the workhouse, for nineteen parishes, belonging to the East Preston Incorporation viz:- Amberley, Angmering, Broadwater, Burpham, Climping, Durrington, East Preston, Ferring, Ford, Goring, Houghton, Lancing, Leominster, Litttlehampton, Poling, Rustington, Tortington, West Tarring, and Wiggonholt. The parish has an area of 500 acres, and had a population of 320 in 1861.
Parish Clerk, Stephen Ayling.
POST OFFICE.- Henry Gratwicke, receiver. Letters from Littlehampton arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Littlehampton
INSURANCE AGENT.- Royal Farmers’, F. E. Farmaner
East Preston Union, John Harding, master; Mrs. Ann Harding, matron
Slater Mr. Henry
Warren Reginald Augustus, esq.
Barnett George, market gardener
Barnett James, shopkeeper
Booker James, blacksmith
Farmaner Henry, beer retailer
Haynes John, farmer