From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
NORTH MUNDHAM is a pleasant village and parish, 2 miles south-west from Drayton, 63 from London, 2 south-east from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The church of St. Stephen is ancient, and has a neat square tower with 3 bells. The register dates from 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, value £257 per annum, with, that of Hunston annexed, joint annual value £645, with residence, in the gift of the late J. B. Fletcher, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles Dudding Holland, B.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. A school for boys and girls is supported by local subscription. The Arundel and Portsmouth Canal passes through the parish. The principal landed proprietors are Miss Merricks and John Bayton, Esq. Runcton House, the seat of the Merricks family, is in this parish. The area is 1,882 acres; the population in 1861 was 426.
RUNCTON and FISHER are hamlets of this parish.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Horner.
Letters arrive at 7 a.m., dispatched at 7.20 p.m. to Chichester, which is the nearest money order office
National School, Sidney Smith, master; Mrs. Charlotte Smith, mistress
Bowdler Charles, esq. Runcton house
Dyer Misses, Runcton
Holland Rev. Charles Dudding, B.A. Vicarage
Hollingdale William, esq.
Merricks Miss, Runcton house
Baxter John, farmer, Runcton
Binstead Charles, builder, Runcton
Chitty Charles, farmer
Downer George, farmer, Runcton
Etherton Charles, blacksmith, Runcton
Hayward George, shopkeeper
Hunt Ebenezer, farmer, Leathorn
Hunt Esther (Mrs.), farmer, Leathorn
Hunt Thomas, farmer, Brinsford
Jupp George, boot & shoe maker
Mant William, grocer, Fisher
Parsons George, Walnut Tree, Runcton
Russell William, cowkeeper, Fisher
Scott Henry, beer retailer
Skinner John, farmer, Gibson bank