From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
PYCOMBE (or PYECOMBE) is a village and parish, in the Eastern division of the county, union and county court district of Cuckfield, Poynings hundred, Lewes rape, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester, 5½ miles north from Brighton, on the main road to London, 12 northwest from Lewes, and 2½ from Hassock’s Gate railway station. The village is sheltered on the north and west by the Downs. The church is a small plain building. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £345 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. John Morgan, M.A. The manor and principal part of the soil belonging to the Crown. The area is 2,249 acres, and the population in 1861 was 283.
Parish Clerk, George Godley.
POST OFFICE.- George Reid, receiver. Letters arrive from Hurstpierpoint at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 6.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hurstpierpoint
National School, Miss Mary Muzzell, mistress
Morgan Rev. John, M.A. [rector], Rectory
Blaker George, farmer & landowner, Pangdean
Baker William, blacksmith
Brooks John, Plough
Brown Thomas, market gardener
Kinchen William, road surveyor
Reed John, grocer & beer retailer
Vallance Philip, farmer