From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SOUTH HEIGHTON is a parish about 6½ miles from Lewes, a mile and a half from Newhaven station, and 58 miles from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Flexborough hundred, Pevensey rape, Lewes county court district, and Newhaven union. It had a church, nothing of which now remains but its foundation. The register dates from 1542, and ends in 1618. The living, a rectory, is now united with Tarring Neville. The Right Hon. H. Brand, M.P., is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. The parish contains 923 acres; the population in 1861 was 104.
Letters through Lewes. The nearest money order office is at Newhaven
Sanders Rev. Wm. Fredk. B.A. [rector]
Clarke Joseph, farmer
Page John, farmer
Wood Charles, shopkeeper
Woolgar Charles, Blacksmiths’ Arms, & blacksmith