From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EAST TARRING (or TARRING NEVILLE) is a parish, 2 miles north from Newhaven, 6 south from Lewes, and 56 from London, near the navigable river Ouse, in the, Eastern division of the county, Danehill Horsted hundred, Pevensey rape, Newhaven union, Lewes county, court district and archdeaconry rural deanery of Rype, and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary is small: it has chancel, nave and square tower. The register dates from 1542. The living is a rectory, united with that of South Heighton, joint gross annual value £406, in the gift of Mrs Cornelia Fothergill, and held by the Rev. William Frederick Sanders, B.A., late Scholar of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The Rev. F.W. Gray is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. The parish comprises 938 acres, and had a population in 1861 of 84.
Parish Clerk, Alfred Clarke.
Letters through Lewes. The nearest money order office is at Newhaven
Parochial School, Miss Clark, mistress
Brown Richard & John, farmers