From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
WEST DEAN (near Lewes) is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Willingdon, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Eastbourne union, Lewes county Court district and archdeaconry, diocese of Chichester, and rural deanery of West Ham, 2½ miles east-by-north from Seaford, 62 from London, near the mouth of the Cuckmere river. The living is a rectory, annual value £102, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held by the Rev. George M. Cooper, M.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge, who resides at Wilmington. The Duke of Devonshire, Lord Gage, and the trustees of the Rev. Thomas Scut, are the principal landowners. The principal crops are wheat and oats. In 1861 the parish contained a population of 153, and 2,464 acres.
EXET is half a mile west; FOXHOLE one mile south
Letters through Lewes. Seaford is the nearest money order office
Ade Charles, farmer, Charleston farm
Ellis John, farmer, Exet bridge
Waters Charles, farmer