From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BARNHAM is a small parish, 7 miles east from Chichester, and 5 south-west from Arundel, in the Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, Arundel rape and rural deanery, West Hampnett union, and diocese, archdeaconry, and county court district of Chichester. The Brighton and South Coast Railway skirts the northern boundary of the parish. The church is named St. Mary. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £67 in the gift of W. C. Rickman, Esq., and held by the Rev. Albert Cornwall. The principal proprietors are the Duke of Richmond, and Mr. Richard Cosens, who resides in a fine old Elizabethan mansion near the church. In 1861 the population was 125; area, 730 acres.
Letters through Arundel are received at 10.30 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Arundel
Cosens Richard, yeoman
Dash William, vermin destroyer
Fever Henry, miller
New George, farmer