From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BINSTED (or BINSTEAD) is a parish, 3 miles west from Arundel, in the Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, Arundel rape, rural deanery and county court district, West Hampnett union, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St. Mary is very ancient, in the Norman style, consisting of nave and chancel, and short spire with 1 bell. The living is a rectory, yearly value £175, with residence, in the gift of John Bones, Esq., and held by the Rev. Henry Christopher Bones, R.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge. Here is a Sunday school. The parish comprises 1,086 acres, with a population in 1861 of 110.
Letters received through Arundel, which is the nearest money order office
Read William, esq. Binstead hall
Ellis Edward, farmer