From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
ALBOURNE is a parish, 3½ miles from Hassocks Gate station, 9 from Brighton, 13 from Lewes, and 46 from London, in the Western division of the county; Bramber rape, Tipnoak hundred, Cuckfield union and county court district, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church of St. Bartholomew was entirely rebuilt, except a portion of the chancel, in 1853; it consists of nave, chancel, and wooden turret with 1 bell. The register dates from 1550. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300 with residence, in the gift of the Rev. John Goring, and held by the Rev. William Smith Dear, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is some market gardening. The Rev. J. Goring and W. Borrer Esq., are the principal landowners: the former is lord of the manor. The area is 1,740 acres; the population in 1861 was 341.
Parish Clerk, John Grinstead.
POST OFFICE.- John Grinstead, receiver. Letters arrive from Hurstpierpoint at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7.30 p.m.
The nearest money order office is at Hurstpierpoint
INSURANCE AGENT.- Liverpool & London & Globe, John Grinstead
Parochial Free School, Miss Jane Pelling, mistress
Coppard Thomas, esq. Lanehurst
Dear Rev. William Smith, M.A.[rector]
West H. T. Albourne place
Burt Richard & Co, veterinary surgeons
Burtenshaw James, farmer
Grinsted John, grocer
Hills James & Son, farmers
Holder Josias, wheelwright
King Richard, market gardener
Mason John, farmer
Mitchell Thomas, market gardener
Souch Henry, farmer
Stapley John, farmer
Uwins Henry, King’s Head
Wickham George, pig dealer
Wickham Thomas, miller & farmer