From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
ASHURST is a retired village, 49 miles south from London, 2 from Partridge Green railway station, 3½ north-east from Steyning, and 11 south-west from Horsham, in the Western division of the county, West Grinstead hundred, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, Brighton county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester and rural deanery of Storrington. The church is a small and very ancient structure, consisting of two aisles and a chancel: it has 3 bells. The register dates from 1658. The living is a rectory, yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. Edward Hill, M.A. The principal landowners are the Rev. John Goring, Lord Rodney, and William John Campion, and William Whitter, Esqrs. The area is 2,355 acres, and the population in 1861 was 374.
Parish Clerk, Richard Blake.
Letters by foot-post from Steyning, which is the nearest money order office. Letters dispatched at 6.40 p.m.
Hill Rev. Edward, M.A. Rectory
Allen Peter, farmer
Botting William, farmer, Lock
Bristow John, farmer, Clayland farm
Carter George, farmer
Dumbrell William, Fountain
Durtnell John, miller
Goacher Robert, farmer, Jessop’s farm
Grant Thomas, farmer, Starker’s farm
Jeffery James, farmer
Longley Andrew, farmer, Ford
Luckin Albert, farmer
Luckin Edward, wheelwright
Mitchell Thomas, farmer
Skinner John, jun. shoe ma. Bines com
Stanford Edward & Alfred, farmers, Eaton’s farm
Start William, blacksmith
Winton John, farmer, Dove’s
Wood Robert, farmer, Pepper’s farm