From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
CHITHURST is a small parish, in the Western division of the county, Dumpford hundred, rape, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, Midhurst county court district, union and rural deanery. In “Domesday Survey” it is returned by the name of Titcherte, a part of Hamesford: it formed part of the estates of the Saxon Earl Godwin, of whom one Almar held it as tenant: in the reign of Elizabeth it became the property of Peter Bettesworth. The church (name unknown) is in the Early English style of architecture. The register is included with that of Iping. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Iping, joint annual value £314, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Charles Klanert, M.A., rural dean, who resides at Iping. The population in 1861 was 213, and the area 1,047 acres, which about 360 are waste and wood land.
Letters through Petersfield, which is the nearest money order office.
King Capt. Henry, Chithurst house
Tanner Ross Moore, esq.
Bloom John & James, farmers
Blunden Thomas, farmer
Goodeve Thomas, farmer
Howard William, shopkeeper
Luff James, farmer
Tanner Ross Moore, farmer
Titcomb Eli, farmer & carpenter