From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
CLAPHAM is a village and parish, 55 miles south-south-west from London, and 4 north-west from Worthing, in the Western division of the county, Sutton incorporation, Brightford hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Arundel. The living is a rectory, value £157 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Lady Brooke Pechell, and held by the Rev. William Nourse, M.A. of St. Alban Hall, Oxford. The area is 1,794 acres: population 252.
HOLT and COATES are one mile south-east.
Parish Clerk, William Mills.
POST OFFICE.- Richard Gadd, receiver. Letters from Worthing arrive at 8 a.m., dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Worthing
Nourse Rev. William, M.A. Rectory
Bishop John, brick maker
Gadd Richard, Coach & Horses
West James, farmer, Clapham farm