From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
COATES is a small parish, 4 miles south-east-by-south from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, Bury hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton Union, and Petworth county court district. The parish is bounded on the north by the Rother navigation. The church is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel and shingled spire. The living is consolidated with the rectory of Burton, value £78 per annum, in the gift of A. G. W. Biddulph, Esq. The views from the higher grounds, especially from Coates Castle, are extensive and strikingly beautiful. In 1861 the population was 78; area, 345 acres.
Parish Clerk, James Steer.
Letters through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office
Denman Ron, Richard, Coates castle
Durrant James, farmer