Skip to content


From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

COCKING is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Eastbourne hundred, Midhurst union, county court district and deanery, rape, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, 3 miles south from Midhurst, on the road to Chichester. Its original name was Corlinges and in the “Domesday Survey” it is placed under Hamesford. In the Saxon era its owner was King Edward the Confessor himself: after the Conquest the Earl of Montgomery obtained it of William: in 1375 it passed to the Earl of Arundel, in whose family it remained until the reign of Elizabeth, when it was alienated to Viscount Montague, and thence became, and now remains, part of the Cowdray estates, of which the Earl of Egmont is owner. The church (name unknown) is a small building, partly in the Early English style, and consists of a nave, chancel and south aisle. The register commences in 1558. The living is a vicarage, annual value £250, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held by the Rev. R. R. Drummond Ash, M.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge. The population in 1861 was 430. The area is 2,602 acres, of which more than 600 are coppice.

Parish Clerk, John Todman.

Letters through Midhurst, which is the nearest money order office

Ash Rev. R. R. Drummond, M.A. Vicarage
Andrews William, farmer
Barnes John, farmer, Pitsham farm
Bowler Granthaw, farmer, Cripp farm
Carter William, beer retailer
Challen Benjamin, farmer & landowner, Brook house
Dawtrey George, farmer
Deadman John, farmer
Farley Frederick, Blue Bell
Farley Henry, timber merchant
Hammond John, farmer & miller, Sunwool farm
Hide Martha (Mrs.), farmer
Holden Charles, beer retailer
Hopkin Edward, shoe maker
Hopkins William, shoe maker
Mills Henry, miller
Neale Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Norrell Thomas, grocer
Smith James, baker
Smith James, beer retailer
Todman John, blacksmith
Webb William, wheelwright