From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

GORING is a parish and railway station on the South Coast line, 63¾ miles from London, 3 west from Worthing, and 12¼ from Brighton, in the Western division of the county, Poling hundred, Worthing county court district, rape of Arundel, East Preston incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Mary was rebuilt, at a cost of £6,000, in 1837, at the sole expense of David Lyon, Esq. The register dates from about the middle of the 16th century. The living is a vicarage, valued at £164 per annum, with 6½ acres of glebe, in the gift of David Lyon, Esq., and held by the Rev. Francis Caleb Scott, M.A., of St. John’s College, Oxford. Here is an Endowed Parochial school. Goring Hall is the seat of David Lyon, Esq., who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Castle Goring, the seat of Lady Pechell, is also in this parish. The Miller’s Tomb is a mile and a half north-west. The area is 2,182 acres, and the population in 1861 was 535.

Parish Clerk, George Buster.

POST OFFICE.- Israel Nye, receiver. Letters from Worthing delivered at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Worthing

Endowed Parochial School, George Buster, master; Mrs. Buster, mistress
Railway Station, Richard Tomkin, station clerk

Bright Mr. William
Bushby Mrs
Downer Mrs
Jupp Miss
Lyon Major William, Highdown
Lyon David, esq. Goring hall
Olliver Thomas, esq. Courtland
Pechell Lady, Castle
Scott Rev. Francis Caleb, M.A. [vicar]
White Misses, Church house

Bushby Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Field Place farm
Carpenter Charles, bricklayer
Carpenter William, bricklayer
Evans Reuben, farmer, Northbrook
Hide Elizabeth (Mrs.), shoe maker
Hide William, builder
King Frederick, shopkeeper
Moore Harriet (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Newland Harry, farmer
Nye Israel, wheelwright
Rowe George, blacksmith
Syers Ann (Mrs.), Bull’s Head