From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

HARTFIELD is a village, parish, and railway station, giving name to a hundred, in the Eastern division of the county, East Grinstead union and county court district, Pevensey rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes, 7¼ miles south-east from East Grinstead railway station, one mile west from Withyham, and 8½ miles southwest from Tunbridge Wells. The church of St. Mary is a neat stone structure, with square tower and 6 bells, and high shingled spire: it has nave and south aisle, and front gallery: there are tablets to the Maitland, Swiney, Henniker and Jowett families, and a handsome memorial tablet, placed by the rector in memory of his brother. the Rev. Henry Polehampton, chaplain to the garrison of Lucknow, and killed during the siege of that place in 1857: the church has been reseated with open sittings, accommodating 300 people, one hundred sittings being free and unappropriated, and generally restored, at the cost of £1,000. A handsome organ, of the value of £200, has also been presented, by C. Liddell, Esq., of Sandhurst. The register dates from 1697. The living is a rectory and vicarage, with the chapelry of St. Peter’s annexed, yearly value £636, in the gift of the Earl De La Warr, and held by the Rev. Edward Polehampton M.A., of Pembroke College, Oxford. There is a chapel of ease at Holtye Common, 3½ miles north of the parish. There are several small charities in this parish. There is a National school for boys and girls, endowed with £45 per annum, and a school for the children of cottagers living in Ashdown Forest, entirely supported by Lady Darling, of Ridge House. The new Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1865, is a neat building of red brick. Here are also seven almshouses for the residence of poor persons; these are called the Countess of Thanet’s Almshouses: they are very neat structures, situate on Holtye Common, and were rebuilt in 1840. The Earl De La Warr is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay and sandstone. There are about 70 acres of hop land in the parish, and a few handsome private residences. The new line of railway, just completed from East Grinstead to Tunbridge Wells, has a station here. The area is 10,267 acres, a great portion of which is forest land; the population in 1861 was 1451.
BOLEBROOK and PERRY HILL are one mile north; HOLLY HILL, 2 miles south-west; ASHDOWN PARK, 3 miles south-west. HOLTYE COMMON is a hamlet, 3½ miles north.

POST OFFICE.- Miss Maria Medhurst, postmistress. Letters arrive at 6 a.m., dispatched at 6.45 p.m. to Tunbridge Wells by mail cart. The nearest money order office is at Withyham

INSURANCE AGENTS.- Liverpool & London & Globe, Thomas Killick & Thomas Philcox

Hartfield & Withyham Dispensary, George Speke Payne, surgeon & dispenser
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Hartfield & Withyham, William Wallis, Oaklea

National, George Bocking, master; Mrs. Hannah Bocking, mistress
Lady Darling’s, Miss Deane, mistress

EAST GRINSTEAD – John Bashford, Quaybrook common, daily
LONDON – Robert Jarvis, every tuesday, to the Queen’s Head inn, Borough, returning every thursday

Darling Lady, Ridge house
Hale Bernard, esq. J.P. Holly hill
Hardy -, esq.
Henniker Edward, esq. Old lodge
Liddell Christopher, esq. Landhurst
Maitland Col. Frederick Thomas, Holywych
Morris Col. John William, The Grove
Payne George Speke. esq
Polehampton Rev. Edward, M.A. Rectory
Ranger Josiah, esq. Ashdown park
Wallis William, esq. Oaklea
West Hon. Mortimer Sackville, Hartwell cottage
Whatley Miss, Holtye house

Baines John, farmer, Cullinghurst
Baker John, farmer, Faulkner’s farm
Baldwin Richd. shopkeeper, Holtye com
Bellingham William, farmer, Lower Paddock farm
Burfoot John, miller, Bolebrook mill
Burfoot Richard, farmer, Bassett’s farm
Burfoot Thos. farmer, Lower Brock’s hill
Card William, farmer, Stair’s farm
Chapman John, farmer, Lit. Canseiron
Dadswell Mary (Mrs.), laundry
Edwards George, Dorset Arms hotel & posting house
Edwards Robert, farmer & brick maker, Line’s farm
Edwards Robert, Hatch inn, Holly hill
Elliott, Abel, beer retailer & shopkeeper, Holly hill
Everest James farrier
Fillcry Mary (Mrs.) (exors. of), miller, Newbridge mill
Fry Robert, farmer, Hart’s farm
Fry Samuel, farmer, Chartness farm
Garrett Nicholas, beer retailer & wheelwright
Gill James, carpenter
Goodwin Thomas, farmer & wheelwright, Beeches farm
Hill George, plumber, painter, glazier & farmer
Hoare Frederick, butcher
Hudson Edmund, farmer, St. Ive’s farm
Jenner George, carpenter
Kennard Thomas, saddler & harness maker
Kenward Edward, White Horse, & farmer, Holtye common
Killick Thomas, draper & grocer
Langridge James, blacksmith
Langridge Stephen, farmer, Upper Parrock farm
Marchant Charles, farmer, land agent & surveyor, Heath place
Maryan William, shoe maker
Medhurst John, carpenter
Medhurst Maria (Miss), grocer & stationer, & post office
Miles Edward, shopkeeper, Marsh green
Miles William, farmer, Bank farm
Morphew Geo. farmer, Pest House farm
Muggeridge Thos. blacksmith, Holly hill
Newton John, wheelwright
Norrish Richard, baker
Payne George Speke, surgeon
Peckham Mary (Miss), shopkeeper
Philcox Thomas, carpenter
Sands James, beer retailer
Scrase William, farmer, Cotchford
Shoesmith William, bricklayer
Snashall John, farmer, Sussex house
Swift John, farmer, Perry Hill farm
Walder Walter, farmer, Cotchford
Wallis William, surgeon, Oaklea
Whittome Stephen, farmer, Bolebrook
Winnifrith Thomas, tailor
Wright Nicholas, farmer, Hodore
Young Henry, farmer, Fincham