Skip to content

Heene

From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

HEENE is a small parish, formerly extra parochial, adjoining Worthing, on the west, and is more generally called West Worthing: it has neither church nor chapel and is included in the East Preston poor law union, the inhabitants supporting their own poor: it is in the Western division of the county, rape of Bramber, and Worthing county court district. The ecclesiastical commissioners hold the great tithes’ rent-charge, and pay a stipend to the vicar of the adjoining parish of West Tarring, at which church the inhabitants have the right to attend. The property of this parish, with the exception of a few small holdings, has been purchased by the West Worthing Investment Company Limited, who have erected several mansions and first-class houses, a large and well appointed hotel, baths, assembly rooms, water works, &c., and are greatly improving the beach and neighbourhood. The area is 546 acres; population, 194.
Letters through Worthing

Brooke Mrs. 7 Heene terrace
Dean George Alfred esq. East mansion
Redifer Mr. John, North house
Woods Mr. Francis Benjamin
Woods Mr. Henry William
Worthington George, esq. 1 Heene ter.

COMMERCIAL.
Bushby Frank, market gardener
Coppard Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 8 Thorn terrace
Davies William, tailor, Little Heene
Heene hotel, (Henry Salmon Gifford, manager)
Lephard Edmund, farmer
Nadin John, King & Queen tavern
Thorn Peter & Alexander, contractors
Ward John, grocer, 1 Thorn terrace
West Worthing Baths, Water Works & Assembly Rooms Co. (limited) (Charles Eley, sec.)
Worthington George, surgeon, 1 Heene terrace