From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
OVINGDEAN is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Younsmere hundred, Lewes rape, Newhaven union, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, and Brighton county court district, one mile north-west from Rottingdean, 2¾ miles from Brighton, and 53 from London. The church (name unknown) is partly in the Norman style, is very ancient, and stands on the hill side; it consists of nave, chancel, and tower. The register dates from 1700. The living is a rectory, value £335 per annum, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Alfred Stead, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. King Charles II., after his defeat at the Battle of Worcester, was concealed for a short time at Ovingdean, whence he made hie escape in a small vessel from Shoreham to Fecamp. Charles Beard, Esq., is the owner of the greater part of the land, which he farms. The area is 1,618 acres, of which upwards of 600 acres are downs; the population in 1861 was 121.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Moppatt.
Letters by foot post through Brighton. A pillar letter box in the village, which is cleared at 5 p.m.; on sundays, 11.20 a.m. Brighton is the nearest money order office
Green Araunah esq. The Grange
Macnaughton Elliot, esq.
Stead Rev. Alfred, M.A. [rector]
Green William, farmer, The Grange
Standen James, farm bailiff to Elliot Macnaughton, esq.