From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
PATCHING is a small parish, 2½ miles north-east from Angmering station, 68 south-south-west from London, 5 north-west from Worthing, on the high road to Chichester, constituting a hundred by itself, in the Western division of the county, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, Sutton incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Tarring. The church was restored and decorated in 1856 by Sir John Kirkland, who, until recently, resided in the parish. The earliest register bears date 1598. The living, still a peculiar of Canterbury, is a rectory, value £218 per annum, with residence and 6 acres of glebe in the. gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Edmund Tew, M.A., of Magdalen Hall, Oxford. The population in 1861 was 275; the area is 1,748 acres.
MITCHELL GROVE is in this parish.
Parish Clerk, William Mills.
POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Rhoda Peters, receiver. Letters from Arundel arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Angmering
Joad George Curling, esq, Delany cot
Tew Rev. Edmund, M.A. [rector]
Walter Arthur, esq. Selden cottage
Downs Robert, Horse & Groom, Patching pond
Drewitt John, farmer
Duke Edmund, farmer
Laker Nelson, farmer
Peters Rhoda (Mrs.), blacksmith
West Wm. wheelwright, Patching pond