From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
PIDDINGHOE is a parish, one mile north from Newhaven station, on the river Ouse, 56½ miles from London, and 6 south from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Holmstrow hundred, Newhaven union, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester. The church has a round tower, with shingled spire, chancel, nave, and north aisle, and appears to have formerly had an aisle on the south side also. The register dates, for baptisms, from 1540; for marriages, from 1555; for burials, from 1592. The living is a vicarage, value £170 per annum, in the gift of and held by, the Rev. James Hutchins, M A. of St. John’s College, Oxford, who is also rector of, and resides at, Telscombe. The principal landowners are the Earl of Chichester and William Waterman, Esq.: Lord Sheffield is lord of the manor. The area is 2,658 acres, and the population in 1861 was 243.
Parish Clerk, John Beeney.
POST OFFICE.- Henry Corner, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lewes, arrive at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.47 p.m.; on sundays at 6.12. p.m. The nearest money order office is at Newhaven
Avery Frederick, shopkeeper
Baker Edward, white & red brick, tile, drain pipe & whiting manufacturer, & coal merchant
Parsons William, blacksmith
Russell John, gardener
Stace Samuel, shoe maker
Tompsett Francis, farmer, Deans
Tompsett James, farmer, Lodge
Waterman William, farmer