From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SHOREHAM is a union town, seaport, parliamentary borough, and railway station, on the south coast, at the mouth of the river Adur, 56½ miles from London, 6 west from Brighton, 22 east from Chichester, 5 east from Worthing, and 6 south from Steyning, in the Western division of the county, Fishergate hundred, Brighton county court district, rape of Bramber, Steyning union, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. Its trade is chiefly in coals, corn, and timber, and it also has a considerable French trade: shipbuilding forms a prominent branch; it is also an excellent oyster station. The town consists of the parishes of New and Old Shoreham, and is governed by a high constable, elected annually. The borough of New Shoreham includes the parishes of New and Old Shoreham, the town and parish of Steyning, and the whole of the rape of Bramber, and returns two members to Parliament. A fair is held on the 25th of July. The Local Government Act is in force here, having been adopted on 6th December, 1865.
The church of New Shoreham, named St. Nicolas and St. Mary the Virgin, is part of an ancient and beautiful structure and is an extremely interesting specimen of Norman architecture: it was originally cruciform, and one of the largest in the county: the architectural embellishments are still remarkable for their richness and variety, and present objects of great interest to the antiquary: a movement is now on foot to restore it to its original dimensions, the estimated cost of which will be upwards of £10,000, to be raised by voluntary subscriptions. The register dates from 1568. The living is a vicarage, value £120 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. Harris Smith, D.D., of Oriel College, Oxford.
Old Shoreham is on the eastern bank of the river Adur, one mile north of the town, formerly a place of some importance. Ella, the first King of the South Saxons, landed here to complete the conquest of England. The only remaining ancient relic is the church (St. Nicolas), which has been repaired, and much of its pristine beauty restored: it is a very interesting edifice: the expense of its restoration was defrayed by Magdalen College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage value £458 per annum, with residence, in the gift of Magdalen College, and held by the Rev. James Mozley, B.D.
St. Saviour’s School in this town is a Church of England school, for the education of the lower middle classes, of which the Bishop of Chichester is visitor: it was founded in 1858, and now contains about 220 boys, sons of small tradesmen, farmers, &c.: it is an offshoot of a large institution (St. Nicolas College), of which particulars are given in the account of the neighbouring parish of Lancing.
The Protestant Grammar school is a large establishment, under the superintendence of W. H. Harper, Esq., where pupils are prepared for the Universities and public schools.
An elegant suspension-bridge was erected in 1832, by his Grace the then Duke of Norfolk, over the river Adur.
The Swiss gardens are extensive: the principal entrance is from the high road to Bramber Castle, three minutes’ walk from the railway station: attached to them are a small theatre, museum, conservatory, &c.
The town is lighted by gas. Here are a custom-house, police station, and a recently-established board of health. Charles II. made his escape from Shoreham to Fecamp, after the battle of Worcester.
Steyning Union House is in Shoreham, and contains about 80 inmates.
Here are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Buckingham House and Park, the seat of H. Bridger, Esq., is a short distance north of the town.
The area of Old Shoreham is 1,870 acres; New Shoreham, 170 acres. The population in 1861 was – Old Shoreham, 282; borough of New Shoreham, 3,351, and is now upwards of 4,000.
Parish Clerk of Old Shoreham, James Kent.