From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
THAKEHAM is a parish, in the Western division of the county, East Easwrith hundred, Petworth county court district, rape of Bramber, and union of its own name, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester and rural deanery of Storrington. The village, which is pleasantly situated on rising ground, is 54 miles south-south-west from London, 4 south-east from Pulborough railway station, and 6 west from Steyning. The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure, with nave and chancel, and square tower with 6 bells. The living is a rectory, the tithes have been commuted at £710 per annum, with residence, in the gift of and held by, the Rev. John Hurst, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. The union comprises 15 parishes, viz:- Ashington, Cold Waltham, Findon, Hardham, Parham, Pulborough, Rackham, Stopham, Storrington, Sullington, Thakeham, Warminghurst, Washington, West Chiltington, and Wiston. The parish comprises 2,980 acres, and the population in 1861 was 559.
GREENHURST is a hamlet of this parish.
Parish Clerk, George Wellard.
Letters through Hurstpierpoint via Steyning, which is the nearest money order office
Thakeham Union, William Moase, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Moase, matron; Thomas Barnes, schoolmaster; Mrs. Ellen Barnes, schoolmistress
Agate Mr. John
Hurst Rev. John, M.A. Rectory
Upperton Edward Fuller, esq.
Agate Jno. Harwood, farmer, Cray’s farm
Blunt Edmund, farmer
Burchett Geo. farmer, Water Lane farm
Burchett Thomas, farmer
Coomber Simeon, farmer
Duke John, farmer, Greenhurst
Golds Alfred, grazier
Hammond Geo. farmer, Thakeham place
Hammond John, carrier
Harding Allen, White Lion
Harding Robert, carpenter
Hubbard John, blacksmith
Luckin Edward, farmer, Apsley farm
Meeten Thomas, farmer, Lay brook
Moase Wm. master of union workhouse
Skinner Henry, shoe maker
Skinner William, shoe maker
Soutter Leonard, grocer & draper
White David, farmer
Wood George, pork butcher