Skip to content


From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

TORTINGTON is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, rape, county court district and rural deanery of Arundel, East Preston incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, 2 miles south-west from Arundel, near Ford railway station. The church is of Norman architecture, and consists of nave and chancel; it has 1 bell. The living is a vicarage, value £175 per annum, in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, and held by the Rev. Richard Francis Tompkins, B.A., of St. John’s College, Cambridge. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Arun. A priory of Augustine canons, dedicated in honour of St. Mary Magdalen, was founded by the Lady Hadwisa Corbet before the reign of John, which at the Dissolution possessed a revenue of £101 4s. 1d. The principal landowners are the Duke of Norfolk and Joseph Montefiore, Esq. The number of acres is 1,131: the population in 1861 was 112.

Letters through Arundel, which is the nearest money order office

Mills Andrew John Moffatt, esq. Tortington house
Coote George Cosens. farmer
Haes Henry, jun. seed crusher, & oil cake mills, Arundel mill
Jupp William, Swan, & brick maker
Parris James, Arundel Arms, & licensed to let horses
Swan William, farmer