From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1913 (pp. 376)
NEW FISHBOURNE is a village and parish, at the head of the eastern branch of Chichester harbour, on the road from Chichester to Portsmouth, 1 mile west, from Chichester, and has a halt on the motor rail service between Portsmouth and Chichester; it is in the South Western division of the county, hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape, petty sessional division of Chichester, union of Westhampnett, and in the rural deanery of Selsey and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of SS. Peter and Mary is of stone, in the Early English style, and has a belfry containing 2 bells: there are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1589. The living is a rectory, net income £103, with 2 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1911 by the Rev. Neville Frederick Shaw M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford. A church room was erected in 1905. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Rector’s trust account, a sum of £100 in Consols, which produces £2 18s. 4d. yearly, is for fuel for the poor of the parish. Salt Hill Park, the property of Mrs. A. F. Smith, is the residence of S. Eustace Forster esq. who is the principal landowner. Major Richard Byron D.S.O. is lord of the manor. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,294 acres of land, 5 of water and 32 of foreshore; rateable value, £6,868; the population in 1911 was 863 in the civil and 339 in the ecclesiastical parish.
In 1896, those portions of St. Bartholomew and St. Peter the Great parishes outside Chichester municipal borough, were added to New Fishbourne.
Parish Clerk, Charles Gardner.
Post, M. O. & T. Office.- Levi Nutbeem, sub-post-master. Letters through Chichester arrive at 6.35 a.m. & 2.40 p.m.; dispatched at 1.25 & 7.40 p.m.; sunday, arrive 6.35 a.m. & dispatched at 11.20 p.m.
Appledram Lane Box cleared 6.25 a.m. & 1.35 & 7.30 p.m.
The children attend the school at Old Fishbourne.
Braund Lewis, The Chestnuts
Challen Charles, Ranceby
Clements Major John, Willow Cote
Culverhouse Miss, Sunnyside
du Moulin Mrs. Fishbourne Lodge
Elson William George Hy. The Croft
Deeks Walter, Stanway
Evershed Arthur M. R. C. P. Lond. Eversfield
Farne Charles Henry, Fishbourne ho
Forster S. Eustace, Salt Hill Park
Gadd George A. The Bays
Mills Charles, The Gables
Newland Miss, Miramar
Pulleybank Mrs. Florence villa
Shaw Rev. Neville Frederick M. A. (rector), Rectory
Smurthwaite John Herbert, Weston ho
Tisdall John, Acacia lodge
Wallace James G. H.
Waring John A. Fishbourne
Allen Wm. Alexander, boot maker
Bailey Maria (Miss), laundress
Chichester Drainage Outfall Works (E. Amplett, manager)
Coles Eli, dairyman
Farne Chas. Hy. miller (water & steam)
Jones Richard, Bull’s Head P. H.
Lane Edward, greengrocer
Lintott Charles Richard, nurseryman & seedsman
Nutbeem Levi, baker, grocer & post off
Pennicott Laurence Edwd., Woolpack inn
Powell Christine (Miss), dress maker
Powell William, carpenter
Shepherd James, cattle dealer
Strong Louie (Mrs.), laundress
Wakeford Ebenezer, nurseryman