From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1927 (pp. 324)
NEW FISHBOURNE is a village and parish, at the head of the eastern branch of Chichester harbour on the road from Chichester to Portsmouth, 1 mile west from Chichester, and has a halt on the motor rail service between Portsmouth and Chichester; it is in the Chichester division of the county, hundred of Box and Stockbridge, rape, petty sessional division and county court district of Chichester, union of West Hampnett, and rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. Water is obtained from the Chichester Corporation Works, and is laid on to practically all houses, and the village is partly lighted with gas. The church of SS. Peter and Mary is of stone, in the Earl English style, and has a belfry containing one bell there are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1589. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £339, with 1.5 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Neville Frederick Shaw M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford. A church room was erected in 1905 There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Rector’s trust account, a sum of £100 in Consols, which produces £2 18s. 4d. yearly, is for the benefit of the poor of the parish. Albert Eadie esq. is lord of the manor. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and. oats. The area is 1,294 acres of land, 5 of water and 32 Of foreshore; rateable value, £7,477; the population of the civil parish in 1921 was 896, and of the ecclesiastical parish 384.
In 1896, those portions of St. Bartholomew and St. Peter the Great parishes outside the municipal borough of Chichester were added to New Fishbourne.
Parish Clerk, George Burden.
Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office.-Levi Nutbeem, sub-postmaster. Letters through Chichester.
The children attend the school at Old Fishbourne.
(For T N’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Burnand Mrs. Willow cottage
Carlyon-Britton maj. P. W. P., F. S. A., F. R. N. S., D. L., J. P. Eversfield
Challen Mrs. Ranceby
Edgar John G. The Gables
Harrison Ralph, Manor house
Jeffery Miss A. Newhouse
Ledger Henry, The Bays
Lintott Charles R. The Croft
Morgan Herbert, St. Margarets
Prior Ebenezer, Kensington cottage
Pulleybank Mrs. Florence villa
Russell Lt.-Col. George Young Acacia lodge
Salter Samuel, Norton house
Shaw Rev. Neville Frederick M.A. (rector), Rectory
Shorland Arthur William, St. Pol
Smurthwaite John Herbert, Weston ho
Spicer Commdr. Stewart D., R.N. Salt Mill house
Steinitz Rev. Charles Edward M.A. St. John’s
Strange Grove, The Lodge
Strong Mrs. Louie, Sunnyside
Tripp Guy H. H. The Chestnuts
Wallace James G. H.
Waring Jn. A., M.B. Fishbourne cott
Brigden Harold Sidney Beecher, watch mkr
Chichester Drainage Outfall Works (H. Ede, mngr)
Coles Eli. dairyman
Eaton Eliz. (Mrs.), laundress
Eaton Frederick John, beer retailer
Gadd Harry, Bull’s Head P.H.
Lee Leonard, motor engnr. see Red man, Lee & Co
Nutbeem Levi & Sons, bakers, post office
Powell Christine (Miss), dressmaker
Powell William, carpenter
Redman, Lee & Co. motor engnrs
Sadler F. & Co. millers. T N Chichester 45
Scorey Cecil John, frmr The Elms
Swatton Herbert Wm. nurseryman
Wakeford Ebenzr. nurseryman
Woodgar Thos. Benj. boot repr