From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
ALCISTON is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Pevensey rape, Alciston hundred, West Firle union, Lewes archdeaconry and county court district, and diocese of Chichester, one mile west from Berwick station, 57 miles from London, 7 south-east from Lewes, and 6 south-west from Hailsham, on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, at the foot of the South Downs. The church (name unknown) is ancient; and has two piscinae and a fine old octagonal stone font, and has been restored. The register dates from 1575. The living is a vicarage consolidated with that of Selmeston, in the alternate gift of the Bishop and of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, joint yearly value £210 with residence, and held by the Rev William Douglas Parish, S.C.L., of Trinity College, Oxford. Lord Gage is principal landowner and lord of the manor. The chief crop is wheat. There are remains of a monastery. The area is 2,079 acres, and the population in 1861, was 220.
Parish Clerk, William Woodall
POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE.- William Woodall receiver. Letters arrive from Lewis at 9 a.m.; and dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hailsham
CARRIER TO LEWES.- William Woods, daily.
Stevens Mr. Alexander
Elphick Joseph, wine merchant & farmer
Fears Thomas, plumber & glazier
Madgwick William, farmer
Packham William, blacksmith
Stevens Henry, glazier
Woods William, Barley Mow & carrier