From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
ARLINGTON is a parish and village on the Cuckmere river, a mile and a half north-east from Berwick station, 3½ miles south-west from Hailsham, and 54 by road from London in the Eastern division of the county, Hailsham union, hundred of Longbridge, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Pancras is an ancient building, in the Decorated style, with two chancels, nave, and side aisle, and a spire containing 3 bells. The register dates from 1604. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £250, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. Henry William Farebrother, S.C.L., of New Inn Hall, Oxford. The area of the parish is 5,185 acres; the population in 1861 was 623.
Parish Clerk, William Green, Street.
POST OFFICE.- William Green, sub-postmaster, in the Street. Letters delivered from Willingdon at 8.45 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hailsham
The Dicker is a hamlet, a mile and a half north, on a large common, situate in the parishes of Chiddingly, Arlington, and Hellingly, and has now become very populous. In the year 1851, a handsome new district church (Holy Trinity) was built by voluntary subscription: there is a tablet to the memory of Dr. Vidal, the first incumbent, who died in Africa, having been elevated to the bishopric of Sierra Leone. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. James Thomas Drake. The date of the Dicker register is 1843. Here is a Free school, which the lady of the manor has recently made over to the incumbent of the church. The Countess De La Warr (Baroness Buckhurst), is lady of the manor. See also CHIDDINGLY and HELLINGLY.
SESSINGHAM BRIDGE is a quarter of a mile north; WEEK STREET, one mile north; CHILVER BRIDGE, three quarters of a mile south-west; THORNWELL, one mile south-east; MOUNTAIN PINGREEN, a mile and a half south-east.
Parish Clerk to Dicker church, Charles Piper.
POST OFFICE.- Ebenezer Dunk, postmaster. Letters arrive through Hurst Green at 8 a.m.; box closes at 7.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hailsham. Letters for the Dicker should be directed thus,- “The Dicker, near Hellingly, through Hurst Green;” the letters for the rest of the parish of Arlington being forwarded through Willingdon
Farebrother Rev. Henry William, S.C.L, Vicarage
Barber John & Wm. farmers, Willibees
Body Richard, wheelwright, Cane heath
Colbourne Eli, beer retailer, Cane heath
Cruttenden William, farmer, Lower Claverham
Fox John, farmer & woodreeve, Cane heath
Gosden Thomas, beer retailer & cowkeeper, Street
Gutsell Levi, twig basket maker, Week street
Haylor Charles, farmer, Hempstead
Levett Joseph, farmer, Stapley’s farm
Mockett Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Polhill frm
Shoosmith Edwd. farmer, Week street
Shoosmith Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, New Claverham
Smith John, farmer, Knock hatch
Woodhams George, farmer, Parkwood
Woodhams John, farmer, Chilver bridge
Drake Rev. James Thomas [incumbent], Parsonage
Dunk Mr. Isaac
Wright Mr. Robert, Upper Dicker
Baker Reuben, farmer, High barn
Body William, builder & wheelwright
Brown Thomas, frmr. Michelham priory
Dodson John, farmer, Clifton farm
Dunk Ebennezer, grocer, draper, & post office
French Samuel, farmer
Fox James, cowkeeper
Fox Stephen, blacksmith
Gutsell William, Plough & farmer
Parris Trayton, farmer
Tepper John, farmer, Bowler’s farm
Thorpe George, miller, Michelham
Vine William, shoe maker
Weston Edwin, mill wright