From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EARNLEY is a parish, 6½ miles south-west from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Manhood hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Boxgrove, and West Hampnett union. The church (name unknown) is a small stone structure in the Early English style, having a tower with 1 bell, nave and chancel. The living is a rectory, value £444 per annum, and held by the Rev. George Cornwall; it was united in 1526 to the rectory of Almodington, which is now a tithing of this parish; the Bishop of Chichester and the Duke of Norfolk are patrons. The area is 1,157 acres of arable, pasture and marsh land; the soil is very fertile. The population in 1861 was 116.
Parish Clerk, William Pocock.
Letters received through Chichester. The nearest money order office is at Sidlesham
Cornwall Rev. George, Rectory
Duke Frederick, farmer, Manor farm
Duke Henry, farmer, Earnley house
Habin Henry, farmer
Stevens Richard, miller, Earnley mill
Wakeford Robert, farmer