From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EGDEAN is a small parish, 2 miles south-east from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, rape of Arundel, hundred of Rotheridge, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery of Midhurst, Sutton union, and county court district of Petworth. The church (name not known) is small, and possesses nothing of interest. The register commences in 1646. The living is a rectory, value £110 per annum in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. William T. C. Brande, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Pulborough. The population in 1861 was 85; the acreage 710; and the assessment £674.
Parish Clerk, James Steer.
Letters through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office
Hopkins George, farmer, Waller’s farm
King William, farmer, Bigener farm