From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
FUNTINGTON is a parish, 3 miles north from Emsworth station, and 5 north-west from Chichester, bordering on the Downs, in the Western division of the county, Bosham hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, Westbourne union, and deanery of Boxgrove. The church of St. Mary, in the Later English style, consists of a chancel, nave, aisles, and embattled tower: the church has been restored, the chancel having a fine stained glass window, in memory of the mother of the incumbent: there is also some stained glass at the west end. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £150, with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Stair Douglas, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. The principal landed proprietors are the Duke of Richmond, Earl Fitzhardinge, John Baring, Esq., Sir William Plunket De Bathe, Bart., and – Fort, Esq. The village, situated in the western part of the parish, is small but pleasant. Oakwood, the residence of John Baring, Esq., J.P., is a neat mansion. The population in 1861 was 1,090; the area is 3,635 acres.
EAST ASHLING and WEST ASHLING are tithings to Funtington.
At SENNICOTTS is a small chapel. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £50, in the gift of Christopher Teesdale, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles Buckner, B.D., of Wadham College, Oxford. Sennicotts is a pleasant seat, delightfully situated, the property of the Rev. Charles Teesdale, now occupied by the Rev. John Hawker.
ADSDEAN (or Ashdean) is half a mile north; DENSWORTH, 2 miles south-east; WOODEND, one mile east.
Parish Clerk, John Collins.
Letters received through Chichester, which is the nearest money order office
INSURANCE AGENT.- Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life, William Tomlinson, West Ashling
National, West Ashling, John Smith, master
Infant, Funtington, Mrs. Louisa Shawyer, mistress
Arnold Rev. Frederick Henry, B.A., West Ashling
Baring John, esq. J.P. Oakwood
Berkeley Hon. Augustus
Bridges Mr. Edward, Hambrook
Cavendish Charles, esq. Densworth cot
Coles Mrs, West Ashling
Davey Rev. Henry M. M.A. [curate], East Ashling
De Bathe Sir William P. bart. Woodend
Dixon Harvey William, esq.
Douglas Rev. Stair, M.A. West Ashling
Garnham Capt. Robert Edward, Densworth house
Hawker Rev. John, Sennicotts
Henty George, esq. J .P. Northlands
Hobson Capt. R.N.
Muggridge Mr. Henry, East Ashling
Peskett Mrs. East Ashling
Wallis Admiral Sir Provo William P. K.C.B. Funtington house
Aldred Priscilla Jane (Mrs.), Horse & Groom, East Ashling
Andrews John, blacksmith, West Ashling
Artett George, wheelwright, Hambrook
Boyce -, farmer
Brown Hannah (Mrs.), beer retailer, West Ashling
Cheesman Roger, farmer, Hambrook
Collins John, bricklayer
Dee Henry, carpenter, West Ashling
Dixon Harvey William, surgeon
Ewens William, saddler
Goodger William, butcher, West Ashling
Hancock Benjamin, poor rate collector, West Ashling
Heather Geo. shopkeeper, West Ashling
Jeffery William, miller, Ratham mill
Knight Geo. blacksmith, East Ashling
Matthews Richard, wheelwright
Miller Emily (Mrs.), carpenter, East Ashling
Moore Geo. boot maker, West Ashling
Morgan John, farmer, East Ashling
Northeast Geo. pig dealer, East Ashling
Oakshot Philip, bricklayer, West Ashling
Peskett Frederick, farmer, West Ashling
Peskett George, baker, East Ashling
Powell John, boot & shoe maker, East Ashling
Rasell Henry, Horse & Groom
Reed George, carpenter, East Ashling
Russell Edward, blacksmith
Russell John, shoe maker, East Ashling
Simms James, farmer, East Ashling
Smith & Wood, millers, Ashling mill
Smith George, farmer, West Ashling
Smith John, farmer, West Ashling
Tomlinson William, grocer, West Ashling
Venus James, bailiff to John Baring, esq.
Weston James, farmer, West Ashling
Wise Daniel, farmer