From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
LITLINGTON is a parish, 3 miles south from Berwick station, 60½ from London, 3 north from Seaford, and 5 west from Eastbourne, in the Eastern division of the county, Longbridge hundred, Eastbourne union, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester. The church (name unknown) is a neat edifice, and consists of nave, chancel, vestry room, south porch, bell tower containing 3 bells, surmounted by small spire: the church has recently undergone restoration at an expense of £600. The living is a rectory, value £105 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. Thomas Scutt, and held by the Rev. Richard White, B.A., of Durham University. Here are extensive nursery and fruit gardens, beautifully situated on rising ground east of the river Cuckmere. Area, 893 acres; the population in 1861 was 134.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Horsecroft.
POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Catherine Russell, sub-postmistress. Letters through Lewes arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Seaford
Richardson Thomas Shepherd, esq. Clapham house
Goodfellow Robert, farm bailiff to T. S. Richardson, esq.
Richardson Thomas Shepherd, farmer, Clapham house
Russell Frederick, nurseryman, seedsman & florist
Terry John, Plough & Harrow