From Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

TWINEHAM is a parish, 5½ miles south-west from Cuckfield, 5 west from Burgess Hill station, 12 from Brighton, 14 from Lewes, and 11 from Horsham, in the Eastern division of the county, Lewes rape, archdeaconry and rural deanery, Buttinghill hundred, Cuckfield union and county court district, diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Peter is a brick building of the sixteenth century, and has a nave, chancel and tower, with 3 bells. The living is a rectory, worth £400 yearly, with residence and 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Charles Goring, Bart., and held by the Rev. William Molyneux, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. The soil is clay. Sir Charles Goring is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The area is 1,908 acres; the population in 1851 was 343, and in 1861 it was 339.

Parish Clerk, Peter Parsons.

POST OFFICE.- George Simmons. receiver. Letters arrive from Cuckfield at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30. p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hurstpierpoint

Molyneux Rev. William, M.A. Rectory
Wood Misses, Westovers
Wood John, esq. Hickstead place

Botting John, farmer
Hamshar Richd. farmer, Hickstead farm
Male Thomas, farmer
Mitchell Henry, farmer, New House farm
Mitchell James, farmer
Shaw Arthur, farmer
Simmons George, grocer & tailor
Simmons Walter, carpenter & beer retailer
Thompson Arthur Robt. miller & baker
Weller Ann (Mrs.), day school
Wood John, farmer, Park farm